Veterans Resources

Information regarding VA Benefits, Disability Compensation and Pension, Education and Training, Home Loans and Loan Guaranty Services, Burial and VA Cemeteries, VA Forms is available at the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website. Information regarding VA facilities and Vet Centers can also be accessed. There are special programs for homeless veterans and those experiencing Gulf War Illness.

Military records are housed in three locations: the National Archives in Washington, D.C., the Washington National Records Center in Suitland, Maryland, and the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. Many veterans trying to obtain their military records have been advised that those records were lost in a fire in 1973 in St. Louis. Detailed information regarding what was lost is available through: Fact Sheet: Facts About the 1973 St. Louis Fire and Lost Records. Records at the NPRC are frequently used to establish service connection for disability claims and also to verify eligibility for awards and medals.

An inquiry can be made regarding the status of a claim for service-connected disability, payment of education benefits, medical care at VA facilities, or other problems. In order to assist a veteran with personal issues involving the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Senator Durbin must, by law, have a Privacy Act Consent form signed by the veteran or a friend or family member who has power-of-attorney.


Relevant Links

VA Facilities

Homeless Veterans

Gulf War Illness

National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)

Facts About the 1973 St. Louis Fire and Lost Records

Department of Veterans Affairs